How to Prevent Electric Shock - Tips from a Denver ElectricianIf you’re remodeling your home, doing routine maintenance, or simply trying to fix a broken electrical outlet, a real danger is present not many people consider. Electrical shock is dangerous; it occurs when a person makes direct contact with an energy source. As experienced Denver electricians, we face this threat every day, and want to inform you about how to prevent electric shock. Here are our tips:

What is Electric Shock?

A person will receive an electric shock if they come into direct contact through their skin, hair, or muscles, with a source of electricity, or by touching an energized object. When the electrical current passes through their body, it causes a physiological reaction and injury. Injuries as a result of receiving electric shock vary greatly, because the electrical current travels quickly throughout the body, damaging along the way. The nervous system can be damaged, and tissue in the body can be burned. When a person dies as a result of receiving an electric shock, it is called electrocution. As you can see, it is important that every homeowner know the safety tips necessary to prevent electric shock in their households or at work.

How Can I Prevent Electric Shock?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent electric shock in your home. These tips are the result of many years working as a Denver electrician:

Appliances & Water: While this tip seems basic, you’d be surprised how often people keep their appliances close to a water source. It’s easy to do – you’re in the kitchen making dinner and you put the hand mixer in the sink without realize it is still plugged in. This is an accident waiting to happen. Keep all electrical devices away from showers, sinks, bathtubs, and other sources of water in your home. It’s also important to understand that if you hands are very wet when you handle an electric device, you could be shocked. Be careful and alert when using kitchen and personal care gadgets in your home.

Handle With Care: Before you use an electronic device, be sure you know how to use it. Simply plugging it in and letting it run can cause many issues. For example, it can get cold during the winter, and using heating devices is popular and helpful. It is important that the appliance is used correctly, however. Be sure to put it in an area where the air can circulate properly. Be sure to check other warnings on labels as well. Keep your appliances and electrical devices well-tuned and cared for. Items that aren’t maintained as they should be are much more likely to give you an electric shock that items that are maintained.

Socket/Outlet Protection: One of the simplest ways to prevent electric shock is to keep your sockets and outlets covered. Open wires are dangerous – to children as well as to adults. Additionally, you can install Ground Fault Interrupter (GFCI) breakers, adapters, and outlets. These detect imbalances in the electric amount flowing through an appliance. It will cut off the power if it is imbalanced. These are standard installations in new homes – if you own an older house, it is wise to check and see if these safety measures are installed.

Go Shopping: If you have old devices and appliances, it might be time to go shopping. Worn and damaged elctercital devices that haven’t been maintained can spark due to damaged or frayed cords, or short-circuit and give you a shock. Shopping for new items and then maintaining them is a good place to start if you wish to prevent electric shock.

Examine Your Experience: If you are working on a project in your home or office requiring that you interact with the electrical system, stop and evaluate your knowledge and skills before beginning. The majority of accidents are the result of “biting off more than you can chew” in home improvement projects. It’s important to have a good understanding and working knowledge of all the components of your electrical system before you touch them. If you don’t have complete faith in your own knowledge and experience, contact a Denver electrician. It is much better to have a professional come in and handle your system instead of hurting yourself or putting others in danger due to inexperience.

Contact a Denver Electrician for Your Projects

If you’re starting a home improvement project, or you are concerned about the safety in your home or office, don’t hesitate to contact an experienced Denver electrician. We can handle your electrical repairs and maintenance. We are professionals and have a complete understanding of the necessary safety measures regarding electricity. Don’t bite off more than you can chew and start a project without experience. Call us today – we are fast, affordable, and friendly!

Call Us at 303-973-2551 today!