Electric Doctor | Aluminum Wire Repair
Aluminum wiring is common in many homes around Littleton and the Denver Metro Area. Electric Doctor offers aluminum to copper (Cu/Al, CuAl) splicing, also know as a pigtail. We use UL Listed AlumiConn lugs to safely and correctly connect existing aluminum wiring to copper wiring or copper-only rated devices. We can also rewire your home to copper wiring.
Although aluminum rated devices are out there, most new outlets and switches are copper-only rated devices. This means they cannot be connected to aluminum and the connection will break down over time. Copper wiring connected directly to aluminum wiring without a proper connector will also break down and become a hazard.
Information on Copper/Aluminum Wiring:
- Years – Aluminum wiring is common in homes built from 1965-1980
- Modern Style – Most new devices (outlets & switches) are rated for copper wire only
- Corrosion – Aluminum and copper are dissimilar metals and cannot be connected without a proper connector
- Knowledge – It is still common to wire larger loads (ovens, A/Cs, sub-panels, feeders) with aluminum wire
- Terminations – Most breaker panel lugs and breakers are rated for both copper and aluminum wire
AlumiConn Lugs – UL Listed
One of our most common calls is for repairs on ‘Fix and Flips’. Fix and Flip projects will often (and incorrectly) install new copper-only rated outlets and switches directly to aluminum wiring. These connections will start to break down and need repair. Electric Doctor performs proper splicing installations for contractors and repairs for buyers, sellers, and realtors during home purchases.
- Aluminum Wire Pigtailing
- AlumiConn Lug Installation
- Aluminum Wiring Repair
- Aluminum Wiring Panel Maintenance
- Home Rewiring to Copper