It’s important to make sure your home is safe when it comes to electricity. It’s easy to let small things slip, because our lives are busy, and dealing with electrical maintenance can take a lot of time we feel we don’t have. These three common electrical hazards are easy to avoid, however, once you know to look for them. And, fixing them goes a long way towards keeping your family and home safe from accidents.
1. Broken Smoke Alarms
Smoke alarms can be a nuisance. We get it. We’ve been woken up in the middle of the night by beeping alarms, alerting us that the batteries need to be changed. IN the middle of the night, most of us just rip the batteries out and unplug the alarm so that we can get a good night sleep. But, leaving smoke alarms in this state will do absolutely nothing for you if a fire starts in your home. It’s important that you take the time to keep them in good repair, as the majority of deaths that occur in residences are in homes without working smoke alarms. Make sure that there are smoke alarms in each bedroom and on each floor of your home. Routinely change the batteries, and ensure they are working after installation by hitting the test button. If a fire breaks out in your home, with working smoke alarms, you’ll know instantly.
2. Poor Wiring
Many homes were added on to through the years by past homeowners. While everything might be working well on the outside, poor wiring can be lurking behind the walls. This is dangerous. If wiring is installed incorrectly, your home could be at risk of electrical fires, or subject to more frequent power surges. Loose connections, cracked insulation, overheated or frayed cords, and other issues can be a problem. If you’re concerned your home might not be wired properly, have an electrician come and check it out. Electrical fires are dangerous, and a quick inspection might reveal some simple upgrades that will give you peace of mind.
3. Extension Cords
If you have many extension cords throughout your home, it can be a sign of poorly planned wiring. Too many extension cords in your home can be dangerous as well – they are designed for temporary use, and shouldn’t be used constantly. If you’re running extension cords through walls or ceilings, remove them immediately – they aren’t designed for this purpose, and can overheat easily, causing an electrical fire. If you need extension cords to use many items in your home, call an experienced Littleton electrician to come and install a new outlet.
Call Electric Doctor for Home Electrical Needs
If you are worried about common electrical hazards in your home, give an experienced electrician at Electric Doctor a call. We have years of experience, and can spot problems quickly. We are a one-stop shop for all your home electrical needs – call us today!
[button link=”tel:303-973-2551″ type=”big”] Call Us Now[/button]