We understand the importance of saving money when it comes to your monthly bills. One of the best ways to save money is to shave a small amount off your electricity bill each month. As Littleton electricians, we have years of experience in the industry, and have expert electricity saving tips to save you money each month!
How to Save Electricity in Your Home
There are many different ways to save electricity in your home. Here is a quick breakdown of how electricity is used in the average American home:
|TVs & Related Equipment||7%|
|Furnace Fans/Boiler Circulation Pumps||3%|
|Computer & Related Equipment||2%|
|Other (including heating elements, motors, and other electric devices)||27%|
Information referenced from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.
As you can see, lighting is one of the highest uses on this list, with 11% of the total usage being from lights in your home. Here are a few electricity saving tips when it comes to lighting:
- Use compact fluorescent lighting instead of incandescent bulbs. They use much less energy, and last much longer.
- Install motion sensor lighting, so that lights are on only when you are in the area. This is especially helpful when you have kids or other family members who forget to turn on the lights.
- We know you know this, but it doesn’t hurt to have a reminder: Turning off lights when you don’t need to use them can save you money each month on your bill!
Another big electricity sapper is TVs and computers, and all the equipment that goes with them. Here are a few electricity saving tips for these pieces of technology:
- TVs and other electronic devices still use electricity when they are off, but still plugged in. Turn them off when you’re not using them, and you’ll save money!
- The easiest way to turn TVs and computers off when you’re not using them is to use power strips that you can easily turn off, instead of having to actually unplug the devices.
Appliances like your freezer, refrigerator, washer, dishwasher, and dryer use a lot of electricity in your home. Combined, they use up 16% of the electricity you use each month (and this doesn’t even take your air conditioner into account). Here are a few electricity saving tips regarding appliances:
- Keep your air conditioner and furnace clean, which will make them run more efficiently.
- If you need new appliances, look for energy efficient models, which will save you money on your electricity bill (and, some of them may qualify for tax credits).
- When you do laundry, only run full loads. And, when you stick the load in the dryer, clean the lint filter out every time.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer coils clean and clear from dust.
Call Electric Doctor for Electrical Repair and Installations
If you need an electrical home inspection, or a repair or installation, don’t hesitate to call an experienced Littleton electrician at Electric Doctor. Our fully licensed and insured electricians will diagnose problems and complete repairs quickly and efficiently. Give us a call today!
[button link=”tel:303-973-2551″ type=”big”] Call Us Now[/button]